Get someone else’s perspective on a problem.
- Pick someone who isn’t involved in the situation (or doesn’t know too much about the people involved)
- Make sure it’s someone you trust – tell them you want to keep this private
- Explain how you see the situation and the expectations being placed on you
- Then see if you can explain those expectations from the perspective of the person putting them on you – this is hard but can be helpful by itself
- Ask for their opinion, or if they’ve ever been in the same situation – that might give you some ideas about how to manage things.