It’s always hard to deal with other people’s expectations of you. But what about the expectations you put on yourself? Sometimes it’s tough to figure out who the pressure is coming from. One way to start working where it comes from is to write it all down.
- Write down what the expectations are (like getting good marks, winning every match)
- Write down who you feel it is coming from - is it from you, your whanau, your coach, your mates?
- If it’s coming from you, dig a little deeper to find out if there’s a different reason behind the expectation than you what you thought
- Write down how it affects your life and think about how you can make some changes to those expectations to take the pressure off
- Sharing what you’ve written with the people involved could ease the pressure – but make sure you haven’t blamed anyone in what you wrote.