Welcome to The Lowdown Forum. We provide an anonymous, safe space for young people like you to ask questions, get support and support others who are going through tough times.
- This Forum is not a counselling/crisis service. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 111 or go here to get help.
We want you to get involved in the Forum and share your thoughts and experiences because we know sharing is a great way to help yourself and others. But we need to make sure it stays a safe place for everyone. Below are our guidelines that say what we expect from anyone who joins the Forum. As long as you keep it respectful and compassionate there won’t be any issues.
- Please don’t let others know who you are. This is to protect your safety and ensure people can share openly and honestly on The Lowdown Forum.
- Choose an anonymous username. We suggest you don’t use similar names to one names you use in other social network sites such as Facebook.
- To ensure your safety, we won’t approve any posts that include your personal details or those of others, such as your address, school, place of work, phone numbers, email addresses, other social networking profiles, or images of yourself.
- Please don’t try and contact anyone in the community outside of this forum and please don’t encourage other users to share their details with you.
- You are responsible for making sure no one else knows who you are, when you use the forum.
- Be helpful. Encourage others to seek help and promote healthy ways of dealing with tough times.
- Be respectful of others in the forum. Treat them how you’d like to be treated. We won’t approve any disrespectful or damaging communication to others, including discriminating against their sexual orientation, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, national origin or disability.
- We won’t approve any links to external websites, so please leave these out of your posts.
- Don’t post any graphic or explicit information that could suggest other users of the Forum do something harmful. This could include descriptions of self-harming (including eating disorders), suicide attempts and other harmful or unhealthy behaviours by you or others.
- Please respect copyright on the Forum. If you use someone else’s ideas or words, please give them credit/acknowledgement. If you’re concerned that someone has breached copyright please let us know.
- Don’t use the Forum for commercial/advertising purposes, or for posting questions for studies or assignments.
- Keep what you write legal on the Forums. Please don’t break the law, or encourage others to break the law. This includes discussing illegal behaviour, impersonating others, taking someone’s intellectual property, or breaking copyright laws by posting other people’s content. Don’t post content that would harm the reputation of any other person, a business or organisation. This may be defamatory and you could end up be legally responsible for this.
- Never provide professional advice such as medical, legal, financial etc. Although you may want to provide helpful information to another person using the Forum, your advice may be harmful to them.
How we manage what you write
- All posts and new themes are reviewed by the Lowdown Team to make sure that they are safe and that they fit with the aims of the Forum before they are published live on the Forum. This is done to ensure the safety of this space and everyone who uses it.
- Posts are checked to ensure everyone follows the rules. Moderation is 24/7 and posts will be moderated.
- Posts won’t be allowed or may be changed by us if they include offensive content (eg, bad language, negativity, bullying/trolling, advertising, solicitation or unhelpful suggestions) or stuff that breaks the law, (eg, copyright, defamatory, obscene or unlawful behaviour).
Other reasons for not allowing posts are:
- Your post has advice or content that we believe is damaging, unhelpful or distressing to others
- Your personal details, or personal details of others (including links to social network usernames) are included
- Your post contains links to external websites
- Your post does not make sense, contains ‘INTERNET SHOUTING’ (all caps) or is too hard to read
- Your post is off-topic. Don’t hijack themes to discuss other things not related to the topic of the particular forum.
- Remember what you write needs to be clear and easy to understand. Make sure it’s not too long - around 500 words is good.
- If your post isn’t approved (or we change it), we will try to email you to let you know the reason we did this.
- If you don’t follow these simple rules, we may have to stop you using the Forum because we have to make the Forum is safe for everyone.
- Reporting abuse. Although all posts are pre-moderated, there may be some posts that get through that could harm or hurt yourself or others. If you read a post that you think is or may be harmful or offensive, please email the Lowdown Team
- If we have to find out who you are and tell others. As we’ve said, we respect your privacy and anonymity, and work to keep this private as much as possible. However, sometimes we have to tell other people/agencies when we think you are not safe, such as:
- If you write something that suggest you may be at risk of hurting/harming yourself or others
- If you are under 18 and you write that you someone in your family, or someone that you live with may hurt or harm you.
If you no longer want to be part of the Lowdown Forum– you can log-in and delete your account. If you do this, anything you wrote before you stopped being a member will still be on the Forum for others to read